Wednesday, June 6, 2012

tweed indeed.

tweed indeed


Mango zipper dress, $69; Victoria s Secret metallic jacket, $25 (sold out); Lauren Ralph Lauren pumps, $60; DSW Bag, $30; Piperlime Necklace, $24; Juicy Couture resin bangle, $17; Amrita Singh 18k jewelry, $20; Wendy Mink drop earrings, $31; Sephora Collection nail lacquer, $9.50


Hello Everyone! This is the last blazer week post. I hope you had as much fun viewing these as I had creating them. I absolutely looooove this blazer. It's so hard to find a good tweed jacket under $100. Unfortunately, and not to my surprise, this jacket sold out just after I posted it on my first blazer week post. However, here are a few similar tweed blazers that are just as cute at Talbots,Tobi, and Lord and Taylor


My Daily Musings:


On another note, I was updating my resume today and found myself mulling over my "Skills and Interests" section. The typical questions of (1) what should I include, (2) how long should it be, and (3) should I include this section at all came up. I'm sure many are concerned with whether they'll be judged negatively based on what they write in this section. I came to a few conclusions on this:


1. Tailor your interests to the job you're applying for. For example, if you're applying for a job related to international issues, include any languages you know or are currently learning. 


2. Don't include anything controversial: nothing political or religious. You never know what your potential employer's stance is on a certain issue, and you don't want them to judge you solely on this fact.


3. Three is the perfect number. Maybe it's just my OCD, but if you can come up with 3 or less skills/interests, your resume will look well balanced. A great tip is to include 2 professional skills and 1 fun interest. i.e. "Fluent in Spanish, Certification in Lexis Nexis and Westlaw Legal Research, Latin and Italian Cooking"


4. Think about what you're skills/interests say about you. I love fashion, obviously. But I'm not going to write that in this section because that really doesn't say anything about my abilities in the work place (unless I represent designers in intellectual property cases). Now, the fact that I trained for and ran the Boston marathon (not true) says that I'm dedicated, disciplined, and can deal with high-stress situations.


5. Don't lie. It'll bite you where it hurts in the long run.


The point is that this section is supposed to set you apart from other candidates. When reviewing resumes at work, I've often seen myself scrolling down first just to see what the candidates are interested in because you want to hire someone who is interesting and fits in with your office culture. 


What are your views on the Skills/Interests section of a resume?  

No comments: