Thursday, July 12, 2012

heel agony.

The worst part of wearing new (or maybe even cheap) shoes is how uncomfortable they can be -- the incessant rubbing against your heel, the tight squeeze against your toes. I get it. But please PLEASE don't make that an excuse for walking around town with shriveled up, peeling band-aids on the backs of your feet. It looks terrible and has to be unhygienic. I don't want to see your open sores or the bloody side of your band-aid poking out of your shoes. It's disgusting!

Well, now that my rant is done. Here are a few tips for stylishly protecting your feet from the harshness of a new pair of shoes.

1. Moleskin!!!!  This is my number one suggestion. It has saved my feet and my pocketbook quite a few times. In fact, I bought 4 pairs of Target flats when they were BOGO free, and I would not have been able to wear them were it not for my moleskin. Moleskin are adhesive pads that people usually stick to the skin to prevent blisters on their feet. It's fabric on one side and sticky on another. I actually cut off a piece of moleskin to fit the back side of my shoes and stick it on the actual shoe. If I need more padding, I just layer another piece on top of the first. It's great for protecting your feet, and fitting into a pair of shoes that may be a tad too big. You can buy a roll or a few sheets for just around $2 or $3 at the drugstore.

2. Dr. Scholl's Heel Liners: I've used these heel liners in the past, and they work very well. They are very comfortable, and are made of a synthetic, kind of plastic, material which sticks to the back of the foot so there's no rubbing. It's a little pricier ($7 or $8 at drugstores and $4 or $5 at discount stores like Walmart), but it lasts quite a long time. I would advise against getting the drugstore brand of heel liners. I bought a pair and found that they get kind of nasty after a while, and they tend to be an ugly gray which just isn't cute.

3. Wear Comfy Flats: Give your feet a break and wear some cute comfy flats once in a while. Here are a few really cute ones.

flats

1234
4. Moisturize Daily: Dry skin on the feet is actually more prone to causing friction between the foot and the shoe, which, in turn, causes blisters and other ailments. To prevent this, use a pumice stone and moisturize your feet daily. I won't name any names, but I know someone who swears by rubbing Vicks Vaporub on her feet (and face...I know) before bed. I think it's just the petroleum jelly (active ingredient in Vaseline) that works. If you're not that adventurous, or don't want to smell like a cold, a thick foot cream before bed works really well.

5. Anti Friction Stick: Dr. Scholl's has a good anti friction stick. Just rub it on areas that tend to sweat or rub against your shoes. I've also heard that rubbing clear deodorant on your feet works as well.

6. Wear Shoes that Fit: For the longest time, I thought I was a size 7. Someone, years back, said I was, and the fact that my feet constantly slipped out of my shoes was, for some reason, not an indicator of the fact that I probably should go a half size down. When I go to the shoe store, I ask for 3 different sizes in every shoe I'm thinking of purchasing because every shoe fits differently. And, even then, some shoes just don't work for me. What do I do? Walk...away...slowly.

Readers: What are your tips?

No comments: