Tuesday, October 2, 2012

fashion in 1836.

In my "I just got a kindle" frenzy last November, I decided I would download every free book available on Amazon. I actually found a few gems, one of them being "The Book of Household Management." While most of it isn't relevant today, it's so fun to see what the dynamic was back then between a Mistress and her "Domestics." Besides actually including some great leadership and management advice, there's a section on fashion. Here's an excerpt:

To Brunettes, or those ladies having dark complexions, silks of a grave hue are adapted. For Blondes, or those having fair complexions, lighter colours are preferable, as the richer, deeper hues are too overpowering for the latter. The colours which go best together are green with violet; gold-colour with dark crimson or lilac; pale blue with scarlet; pink with black or white; and gray with scarlet or pink. A cold colour generally requires a warm tint to give life to it. Gray and pale blue, for instance, do not combine well, both being cold colours.  

While I don't agree with everything that's said (i.e. no deeper hues for blondes and the cold colors concept), it's great to see how much of this is still relevant today. I absolutely love gold and crimson. In fact, I've created an outfit for work featuring these colors that I hope you'll enjoy as much as I do. 


1836

Purse / Shoes / Necklace / Sweater / Skirt / Earrings / Belt / Watch

2 comments:

Kay C. said...

Love this outfit!! It's so great for work & such a fan of yellows, followed on bloglovin' (:

xoxo
eclecticliving.org

Carm said...

This is so awesome. I love the combination of that rich golden yellow with the rich red. Who knew?! (like someone I know would say :) Nicely put together and the accessories finish the look beautifully. Love it.